I know it’s late. Very late. It got away from me. The holidays were my time to destress where I, strangely enough, don’t panic and worry about gifts and decorations and stuff like that. I did do a lot of buying but mostly for myself. I don’t really get that many gifts and this time around, I was in the position to actually spoil myself a little bit. So I did that. My wallet wasn’t happy but I definitely was very happy.
I read 33 things in Autumn. Looking at my list, it’s mostly manga and a good chunk of audio books. It was in the Fall that I finally got Overdrive working for me and there was no turning back from there. I still am using Hoopla Digital but for more selections, I hope the my library has it on Overdrive.
I finished off 6 series: Girls und Panzer manga, The Graceling Realm trilogy by Kristin Cashore, Ring series by Koji Suzuki, The Remnant Chronicles trilogy by Mary E. Pearson, Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, and the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. All but the Ring series and The Graceling Realm were started in 2017. I started The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin.
But looking at my list of 33 books, I don’t think I have a clear favorite. Nothing jumps up at me as a favorite. I did like all of them just okay, almost equally. It’s strange. I can’t explain it. Meh. I’m not the most critical reader. All I need is to enjoy the book for me to like it. So I guess that’s why I don’t have a favorite this season. I will try to at least try to mention some that stuck with me. Here goes…
- Who am I kidding, I do have what you can call “favorites” – the manga originals of My Hero Academia and Haikyuu. I read up until the 3rd volumes for both and I love each and everyone of them. The anime adaptations are two of my favorites and I can’t believe how faithful they are to the source material manga. In fact, they’re even funnier.
- I also enjoyed Birthday, especially the third short story in the collection, Happy Birthday.
- Not really the books but Laini Taylor’s writing is definitely one of my new favorites.
- Priest was a pleasant surprise. It was so sinfully good.
- The Hero of Ages was a perfect way to end things. It was long, yes, but it needed to be that length to tie everything together.
And that’s about it. I’m definitely continuing on with all the series I started this season.
Also, I won’t pressure myself with numbers. I will still read my share of manga but I will not rely solely on that for numbers. I’m taking it one book at a time, or two if I’m listening to an audio book. 😉