We survived 2017! How is everybody? 🙂
I read 130 books last year. I mean, that’s the most I’ve ever read in a year. EVER. What’s the secret? Manga and graphic novels. Mostly manga for me. I would like to say audio books too, in a way, because it let me “read” on my commute or when I’m unable to read an actual book. But my consumption of manga was far more than how many audio books I read. Plus, they’re so much fun.
I managed to read 12 books this past December. Seven of them are manga (6) and graphic novel (1). Then two audio books. I feel that I did do a lot of reading but it was mostly 190-page manga so page count-wise, it wasn’t that much. I recently got a Kobo Aura ONE and guys, I’m in love. I used it to read manga but I think I’ll still go to my B&N Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook for that.
So here we are. The final wrap-up for 2017 to kick off 2018. XD
TOTAL BOOKS READ: 12.
- The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. I read this for Tome Topple Round 5 but was unable to finish it on time. Goodness gracious, this book. THIS TRILOGY. It’s everything I want in a high fantasy in-between a YA and adult reads. The ending destroyed me. FIVE stars! Favorite!
- Haikyuu! by Haruichi Furudate. I read 4 Haikyuu volumes this month. I got carried away a bit. I love this anime so much, then the stage play, and now, the manga too. I love the original art style. I can’t wait to see my lovely Ennoshita’s chapters. Right now, it’s just by Asahi vs Date Tech timeline… my absolute favorite arc!
- Volume 2: The View from the Top – 5 stars.
- Volume 3: Go, Team Karasuno – 5 stars. Nishinoya is my rock star!
- Volume 4: Rivals! – 4 stars. Kenma is life.
- Volume 5: Inter-High Begins! – 5 stars. GO GO LET’S GO LET’S GO DATE-KO!
- Unsub by Meg Gardiner. I received an ARC of the 2nd book in the series. So I decided to read this. This has been on my radar since it came out because… ever the Criminal Minds fan, I’ll try anything with “unsub” on the title. But this ended up being just okay and quite generic. It was quite predictable and everyone made rather shallow decisions. 3 stars. Audio.
- The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. I finally got to this. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I admit, I had no idea what was going on for majority of the book. It was like a bunch of random stories one after the other. But it all came together nicely in the end. There was something poetic in the whole thing and it was beautiful. On to the next book in the series. 4 stars.
- Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. This was sort of misleading. It wasn’t really about Scarlet after all. It was still about Cinder. (I don’t know anything about the Lunar Chronicles prior to starting the series.) I wasn’t the biggest fan of Scarlet but I’m going to add Wolf to my list of bruised, battered, and brooding male characters. I’m waiting on my audio book hold on Cress… or I might just go ahead and read it. 3 stars. Audio.
- Saga Volume 8 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. I love that this is available on Hoopla right away with no holds and waitlists. This was actually cute. Hazel’s growing up and their ragtag family is still on this journey, adventure… quest. Old characters make an appearance and it was very chill compared to other volumes. But it was mainly cute. 4 stars.
- Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente. I had the most trouble with this book. This is based on Russian lore and I thought I would just gobble this up. I didn’t. I enjoyed it but it was a slog to read. The writing was good but I felt that there are parts where it was trying hard to be lyrical, whimsical, to make it seem like it’s a fairytale. I don’t think I fully got it though. 3 stars.
- My Hero Academia, Volume 4 by Kohei Horikoshi. It’s the UA Sports Festival! It’s as fun as the anime. 5 stars.
- Sweetness and Lightning Volume 6 by Gido Amagakure. I still wish they’d continue the anime adaptation. This is getting so much cuter! 5 stars.
- 3732 pages
- 6 manga, 2 audio books
I only bought TWO BOOKS in December. I didn’t receive any as gifts. Since finishing the Mistborn trilogy, I had to continue with the next series. I bought The Alloy of Law from Book Depository. I will get all future Brandon Sanderson books from Book Depository. XD
The other book was a signed copy of The Demon Crown by one of my auto-read authors, James Rollins. I usually read Sigma Force novel on audio but this time, I couldn’t pass up a signed copy.
I have a target of 4 posts this week in total. One post a day until Friday. I have tomorrow’s Top 5 Wednesday topic (Reading Resolutions), my reading challenge for this year, and my long overdue fall wrap-up on the way. I hope I can do it!
Have an awesome 2018!