I’m finally doing it! I’ve been wanting to participate but the timing was never there. But it’s here now. I’m going to take part in the Tome Topple Readathon!
Tome Topple Readathon is created by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes. She also hosts the Top 5 Wednesday weekly tag. She’s one of the booktubers whose opinions I trust. I also go to her for SFF recommendations. The GoodReads group for this readathon can be found here. If you’re looking for recommendations, inspiration, and/or buddies to read with, go check out the group.
This two-week readathon is simple: read a book with more than 500 pages. That’s it. You have 14 days to do it. Of course, there are challenges but all you really have to do is read a book with more than 500 pages. This is a chance to start/read/finish those intimidating bricks sitting on your shelf. This is the time to read them!
It’s going to be from 12AM of August 4 through 11:59PM of August 17, your time zone.
For me, that’s Pacific Time, if you want to play along. 🙂
Like I said, all you need to do is to read a 500plus-page book. Ooooor you can do these challenges:
- Read more than 1 tome.
- Read a graphic novel with more than 500 pages. (Trust me, this exists.)
- Read a tome that is part of a series.
- Buddy read a tome.
- Read an adult novel.
- Instagram challenges.
As I understand, one book can cover multiple challenges. But try to challenge yourself and allocate one book per item. I think I can do one for each except for the 4th one, buddy reading. Nothing against it but I do not buddy read. TBRs stress me enough; I don’t want the added pressure of a reading schedule and having to discuss it with someone else. I’m sure it’s fun. We can talk about it in the comments or on social media updates but I’m not for proper buddy reads.
Now we have that out of the way, here are my picks for this round of Tome Topple:
- The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. I’m putting this first because I know for sure that I will get to it. I finished The Final Empire in January. It’s the first book that I finished this year. I plan to finish the trilogy by December and since we are just a bit halfway through 2017, it’s about time I read this. My copy, the UK boxed set, has 781 pages.
- Tomie (Complete Deluxe Edition) by Junji Ito. I read his other work, Uzumaki, for the #comicbooksunday readathon not too long ago. That also has more than 500 pages, if you are looking for inspiration. VIZ Media published two more of his work in this complete tome format. Gyo is under 500 pages but Tomie has 752 pages. I will be purchasing my copy, hopefully this Friday at Kinokuniya Los Angeles.
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas. Just by looking at this book, you wouldn’t know that it has 699 pages. Bible pages. Great. Really, I’m in no hurry to read this book. I’m putting it here just in case I finish The Well of Ascension early and hopefully, I’ll be in the mood for this.
- Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab. This is the shortest of all my picks at 510 pages. I know, how is it that I haven’t read this yet? Well, I’m sort of dreading it. My feelz might not be able to take it yet. I sort of got spoiled for the ending. While that doesn’t bother me much, I developed this heavy feeling in my tummy. I will cry. I’m not ready for that. Yet.
The Well of Ascension counts for two items: an adult novel and a part of a series. I can probably go through Tomie in one day as I did with Uzumaki. Or two days since it might terrify the heck out of me. If I finish that, I only need to finish one more to satisfy another item. ACOWAR and Our Dark Duet both count for tomes that are part of a series. Of course, the best case scenario is to finish all 4 of them. I may try to sneak in an audio book there too but I’m trying to listen to shorter audio books lately. Who knows.
Speaking of audio books, if you’re planning to read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon for this round, try the audio book narrated by Davina Porter. I enjoyed it so much. And I did enjoy the physical book and ebook as well. If the graphic novel/manga thing is giving you hell, both volumes of Orange: The Complete Collection by Ichigo Takano are just a bit over 500 pages. I am tempted to tackle American Gods by Neil Gaiman but I’m debating whether to read the book or listen to the audio. I got about 25% with the audio before I lost track. But I also have the gorgeous illustrated version by Daniel Egneus and I also want to experience that. Another fast-paced tome is Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.
We’ll see how it goes. If anything, I’ll definitely get to Tomie and hopefully start The Well of Ascension. I’ll try to time my reading so that I’ll be free to tackle these books by the time the readathon starts. I will still listen to other titles but like I said, short books.
What’s your Tome Topple TBR?