I apologize for the delay. I blame Anime Expo for that. I’m still on a post-con high. It was the best show so far and I’m so happy to have experienced it. It did get in the way of my reading towards the end of June but I still managed to have a good reading month. I discovered a new favorite and I may have found my preferred NA subgenre. *wink*
Now that the first half of the year has passed (really guys, JUNE is still a part of the first half of the year), I’m looking forward to reading more of what’s on my shelf, getting through more series, and making a dent on my ebook collection. See I didn’t put “buy less books” on there. I realized that I’m okay with buying books. I only buy when I really truly want something and then the other books are just there for free shipping. I feel another unhaul coming up so we’ll see how that goes.
TOTAL BOOKS READ: 10.
- Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I finally got to this book. And I have to say, it’s my least favorite Dan Brown to date. I thought it was just because it was on audio and I wasn’t giving my full attention to it. But I got lost so many times even though I was focused. I questioned a lot of their motives and a lot of it didn’t make sense. At least now, with the exception of the YA re-release of The Da Vinci Code, I can say that I have read all of Dan Brown’s published books. 3/5 stars.
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas. More Azriel. Absolutely no Tamlin. I must say, this is not a “good book” but it is a good read. A guilty pleasure read. I don’t line SJM’s bland writing and her plot lines are so convoluted. But her characters have a life of their own. I love the Inner Circle and Azriel is Otabek Altin in my head. The sex scenes are like reading some Explicit fanfiction off Archive Of Our Own. Just… wow. Take that as you want – positively or negatively. 3.5/5 stars.
- Another Episode S/0 by Yukito Ayatsuji. This is a companion novel to Another. It’s basically a conversation between Mei and Sakakibara about an incident that Mei experienced that linked to the strange events of the first book. It’s rather slow and I was ready to give it less than 5 stars but the ending happened. And yes, it deserved all the stars. 5/5 stars.
- Black Butler, Volume 10 by Yana Toboso. I just realized why this arc was so familiar. It’s basically following And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Our characters are trapped in the Phantomhive manor while a storm rages outside. Then one by one, a killer picks off the people in the manor. I loved this arc. Especially Finny’s tribute to Sebastian. My heart! 4/5 stars.
- Him by Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy. New favorite alert! I breezed through this book in 24 hours. I loved it so much. Jamie and Wesley are hot and adorable and I was rooting for them so hard. And I realized that I love m/m romances – of course when done right. And this was done so right. 5/5 stars. More, if possible.
- Girls und Panzer: Little Army, Volumes 1 &2 illustrated by Tsuchii. This is a prequel about how Miho got into Tankery and how she met her first in Middle School also through Tankery. I actually own all the Girls und Panzer manga. I love this anime. This prequel, not so much. I gave both 3 stars each. Although, I wouldn’t mind to see an anime for this.
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I finally read something by this author. On audio. I think I may need to re-read this in book form. The writing is great but it didn’t grip me. I kept waiting for the race to happen and… it didn’t. Sort of. I’m not quite sure. The pair of narrators did a good job but like I said, my mind wasn’t there. It’s the writing that kept me going. Yeah, I’ll get a copy of this and re-read it eventually. 4/5 stars.
- Girls und Panzer, Volume 1. I was so excited to read this. Girls und Panzer is now one of my favorite anime. I have almost all of the Petit Nendoroid figures from my extraordinary luck at grab boxes. I’m surprised to see that this is told in Yukari’s POV. I can’t wait to get to the rest. 4/5 stars.
- Us by Sarina Bowen & Elle Kennedy. I had to. Oh god, this was so cute. All the new characters are so precious. Jamie is a darling. I felt so many feelz. All of them are 5 stars.
- 3235 pages
- 4 manga and 2 audio books
Yes, I bought them both. And the Funko Pop Draco Malfoy pen topper. I saw this marked as a “Hot Topic exclusive” but I bought this at Target way before I saw it at Hot Topic. *shrugs* Unfortunately, I haven’t re-read this yet. I know I said I would but I don’t know what it is about me and re-reading. I suddenly remember everything about that book once I start reading it. Eh, someday maybe. Hopefully.
I thought I was doing good with my book buying. Until I wrote everything down. Oh dear.
- Breaking Skin by Debra Doxer. Kindle. Free. Do I need to say more?
- Warren the 13th and the Whispering Woods by Tania del Rio. Vroman’s Bookstore. Signed. The author is an acquaintance. I was supposed to go to her signing but wasn’t able to go. Good thing Vroman’s has signed copies on hand.
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. Vroman’s Bookstore. Signed. And I’m not talking about the printed autograph that came in subscription boxes. There is marker ghosting on the opposite page! I can’t wait to read this book. Laini Taylor’s writing is magical.
- Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin. Vroman’s Bookstore. I actually pre-ordered my original copy of this. So why did I buy another one? Because this one is SIGNED.
- The Pact by Karina Halle. Kindle. Free. I’m on an NA binge. Acquisition, at least.
- Delicate Ink by Carrie Ann Ryan. Kindle. Free. See above.
- Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab. Parnassus Books. Signed and personalized. I realized that this was available for signed pre-order about a week before its release. I’m glad I got it. My goal is to have every VE Schwab book I own signed.
- Girls und Panzer: Little Army, Volumes 1-2 and Girls und Panzer, Volumes 1-4. Basically the whole manga series. They were on Book Outlet. All of them.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, illustrated by Shiei. Book Outlet. Published by Seven Seas, the same publisher as the Girls und Panzer manga. It’s one of those manga classics. Maybe this way, I’ll be able to re-read this faster.
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Book Outlet. Published by Alma Classics. Pretty cover.
- Sound! Euphonium by Ayano Takeda. Kinokuniya Bookstore. The anime version is super close to my heart. And I wasn’t disappointed by the light novel. It’ll be in my July wrap-up.
- Yuri On Life artbook. Kinokuniya Bookstore. This is gorgeous. Yuri IS Life.
- Go Yuri Go fanbook. Kinokuniya Bookstore. I think I may love this more than the other one.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Book Depository. Manga version. I will definitely get to this soon.
- 2 copies of Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER’S Stone by JK Rowling. Book Depository. I bought both the hardcover and the paperback, Slytherin edition as pictured above.
So that’s 22 books. That number went up because of the manga that I bought and the multiple copies of the same book. I don’t even feel bad. XD
So how was your 4th of July weekend? I’m debating whether to blog about AX2017 but eh… I already wrote everything down on my bullet journal. Check out my Instagram for some photos. I already have tickets for next year’s event!