This week, we are talking about Favorite Angsty Romances.
If you know me at all, angst is my favorite category of fan fiction. Some people get bedtime stories, I pull up a 100,000 word piece and bawl my eyes out before bed. I’m currently reading one about Yuri!!! On Ice and I’m blown away at the quality of some of the stuff I find on there.
But we are not talking about fanfics. Here are some angsty relationships from books. They’re not as frustrating and angsty as my fics but they’ll do.
- Naho x Kakeru from Orange. This is actually a part of an adorable but incredibly frustrating love triangle. I honestly prefer the other guy (and think he got the shortest end of an already short stick) but this was the direction the story was going. If you’re not familiar with Orange, you might not get it. But in a nutshell, five friends at present day meet up again to celebrate the birthday of a friend that died ten years ago. Then they get an idea to somehow send letters to their past selves and try to save this friend from dying and “erase” whatever regrets they have at present time. That wasn’t a good synopsis but trust me, this is SO GOOD – manga, anime, live action. But if you’re in the mood for so much frustration that you’d want to fling a shoe at both of their heads, this one is perfect for you. XD
- Let’s get this out of the way, shall we? Jane Eyre x Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre. Do I even need to explain this? He was playing hard-to-get. She pretends that she doesn’t care. Both of them insult each other as a kind of flirting device. One is the key to the other’s happiness but they both refuse themselves of that. Argh… both of them are angsty as hell.
- Shahrzad x Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn duology. This will be in a lot of lists today. What is it with brooding male characters? I love them. In anime, they end up being my favorite characters. But it is a source of such frustration from the female character. And the reader. More often than not, these brooding male characters are “No one can love me. Don’t love me; I don’t deserve it. Stay away from me!” Khalid is definitely that to the very end.
- June x Day from the Legend trilogy. The ending of the 2nd book, Prodigy, drives the angst home. If you don’t know what I’m talking about… well, Legend is an easy trilogy to marathon. And oh, there are graphic novels. I enjoyed those so much because I got to see what these two characters look like. Day, again, is one of those brooding male characters with so many dark secrets from a dark past. No matter how much June tells him that she is willing to help, Day pushes her away. But unlike other female characters, she allows herself to be pushed away. Yes, she’s still hung up about him but she lets it go. And for a reader and shipper, I wanted to pull my hair out.
- Alana x Marko from Saga. Man, these two. Hell, they don’t even speak the same language! But you can just feel the love that they have for each other. It’s almost tangible. Yet their trust for each other is broken. This graphic novel series is definitely SFF with outer space and aliens and stuff but it is definitely very human at the same time. I’m rooting for them so hard. And I cannot wait to read the next volume coming out next week!
That’s my list. I still think my fanfics have more angst but hey.