This week, we are talking about current favorites that aren’t books.
Can I do more than five? Because asking me to name five favorite books is torture but to ask me this is a death sentence. I sort of have an addictive personality and I tend to obsess over very specific things easily. When I do, I become a sponge, a wealth of information about that certain thing. I explore everything about that one thing. So be warned.
Alas, I might be able to list five items but within those items, there may be honorable mentions and whatnot.
- Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2. This beautiful video game has replaced Final Fantasy VIII as my favorite video game of all time. It’s a JRPG with all the trimmings. My favorite thing about it is that it’s very character-driven. It has a HUGE cast of characters and every single one of them has a backstory AND a continuation. Yes, even that Instructor Sara. This game belongs to a franchise of other Legend of Heroes games and guess what, they all tie in together. It’s such a treat! Just how obsessed am I with this game? Well, I watch and re-watch Let’s Plays when I have downtime especially the Nord Highlands parts. I love me some Gaius Worzel. Also, I’m planning to cosplay Fie Claussell, that silver-haired girl on the right. I have the Class VII uniform… I’m just waiting for the wig to come in.
- Sound! Euphonium. I’ve never been this obsessed with an anime since K-On! I like a lot of music anime in general. I love it if they have original songs (so I can learn them for the Anime Expo open mic room). But this anime is about a high school concert band. I admit, I had no idea what a euphonium was prior to this anime. Shame, I know. I am familiar with the rest of the instruments but, euphonium? But I love it now and that’s that. I cannot wait to get my hands on the official English translation of the light novels later this year. Do click on the link I provided above to experience the magic.
- Bullet Journal. It’s a lot of work. It’s so easy to get carried away. But it’s so calming and so fulfilling. I’ve been doing it since July of last year and I love it. It’s perfect for listmakers, artists, journalers… it’s so customizable, it’s perfect for everyone. I would love to have mine look like those Pinterest- and Instagram-ready spreads but I’m happy with what I have right now. I’m pretty okay with my penmanship and I’ve long ago accepted that I cannot art. LMAO.
- Crocheting blanket yarn. I love to crochet period. But there’s a whole new happiness with working with soft and bulky blanket yarn. I finished one blanket already and I’m looking forward to my next one. I scored great at Michael’s the other week. They had blanket yarn on clearance for $4.99 each and I need three 300g skeins for one blanket. Guess what, there were 3 left and I had a 50% off coupon. Yup. If only I can multitask reading, watching subtitled anime, and crocheting.
- Japanese comfort food. I have three favorites: First is Okamoto Kitchen, my favorite food truck ever. If you live in the LA area, try to catch them. They often do conventions and food fests and I’m telling you, it’s so worth it to seek them out and fall in line. Having their food at Anime Expo is extra special because they are dubbed the “anime truck”. I suggest the Okamoto Fries, Green Tea Parfait, and Katsu Curry Chicken. Anything really. Then we have Shin-sen-Gumi Hakata Ramen. I actually had this for lunch today. The one I always go to is the one in Little Tokyo but there’s also one near my work so we went there today. If you try it, make sure to have the bamboo shoots. They’re good enough to eat on their own. And finally, The Curry House curry. Japanese curry is the best.
(Yes, I love my food photos as much as my book pics.)
Trust me, I have more but this is my Top 5. Especially, #1… that is very, very deserving.