Three days into the new year and I’m already being lazy. Oh well. Let’s shake off the long weekend cobwebs and hit the ground running!
I’ve said it many times before and I will say it again, 2016 was an awesome reading year for me. I read a total of 80 books, rediscovered manga, realized I like listening to mystery/thriller audio books, I acquired a crazy number of physical books, read a good amount of physical books vs e-books, and so much more. This time last year, I posted my Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. This year, I’m doing something different. But that’s for another post. 😉
Once again, thanks to Perpetual Page Turner Jamie for this tag.
2016 READING STATS
Number Of Books You Read: 80
Number of Re-Reads: 0 (whoa!)
Genre You Read The Most From: manga (format) and fantasy.
BEST IN BOOKS
1. Best Book You Read In 2016? I keep going back and forth among three books but if I really think about it, my favorite is Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch. Every one told me I was going to enjoy it… nope, quite the opposite.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Manga in general. I knew I didn’t like graphic novels that much so when I started reading a couple of manga, I was surprised at how easy I fell back into it. Also, I watch a lot of anime with manga adaptations or manga as source materials. It’s not like with books-to-movies where you tend to not enjoy one or the other that much. I enjoy both anime and manga quite equally.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Confessions by Kanae Minato. I recommended it to anyone who would listen.
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016? Started (and finished): Legend by Marie Lu. Sequel: Symbiont by Mira Grant. And the best series ender ever, Morning Star by Pierce Brown.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016? VE Schwab. I’m looking forward to completing her existing work in 2017.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Same as last year, short stories. Zoo by Otsuichi scared the living hell out of me.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Morning Star by Pierce Brown. I inhale-read that book. As well as Eon by Alison Goodman. I remember many late nights and early mornings because of those books.
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? Not too sure about re-reading but I tend to re-read manga. Although, I do want to marathon Red Rising trilogy.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016? Probably any of the Parasitology books. They look like those pill blister packs.
11. Most memorable character of 2016? Felix Wolfe from the Wolf by Wolf duology. I hated him. I knew from the start that he was bad news. He did not deserve what happened to him in the end.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016? Definitely not Snow Like Ashes, geez. I think I’d have to go with A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab. I fell right in love with her writing this year.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016? I read a lot this year but I ain’t that deep. 😉
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016? “Blood was magic made manifest.” From A Darker Shade of Magic.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016? Shortest: I think sweetness and lightning, Vol. 2. Longest: Eona by Alison Goodman
17. Book That Shocked You The Most? I was shocked at how awful the writing was in Snow Like Ashes.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) Ryko/Lady Dela from the Eon duology. And also, Hori/Kashima from Gekkan Shoujo, Nozaki-kun.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? Saitama/Genos from One-Punch Man.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. I read Deception Point by Dan Brown on audio and LOVED it.
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure. I guess that would be Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff. Everyone in booktube and blogger community was talking about it. So, on a good price at Book Outlet, I went ahead and bought it.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016? Luka Lowe from Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin. He was okay in the first book too but I loved him more in the 2nd one.
23. Best 2016 debut you read? I believe Graceling by Kristin Cashore is a debut book. Not 2016 but of the author. That counts, right? 😉
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Probably A Darker Shade of Magic. Four Londons and yet you’re not lost in the intricacy.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Manga!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016? The damn ending to Champion by Marie Lu.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Parasitology trilogy. I know Mira Grant’s zombie series is popular but this trilogy needs to be talked about more.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? See answer to number 26.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016? Illuminae and Gemina for sure.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Snow Like Ashes. Just… Snow Like Ashes.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016? The WordPress book blogging community in general.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016? Man, I haven’t posted one of these in a while. I like all my “negative” reviews because they’re raw and mostly just a word vomit.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? I like my haul posts. I try to post pretty pictures.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Anime Expo 2016 and the Anisong World Matsuri.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016? Reading 50 books read. I always put 25 as my yearly goal and to double that was fulfilling.
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Writing reviews. Since I blog mostly at work, I don’t have much time to sit down and ponder about it. Also, I can’t be bothered taking notes when reading.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? I think my gift guide post was quite popular. Not that I care really. Thank you for reading or just visiting my blog!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? My posts that are not tags or memes.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Book Outlet. I wonder what I did before discovering this online bookseller.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? I surpassed my GoodReads goal of 25 books. And I finished a couple of series.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017? After I finish The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (hopefully today), I will start A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab in preparation of the 3rd and final book in that trilogy.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. The new trilogy in the Red Rising universe.
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? I’m not updated in the literary world.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017? A Conjuring of Light by VE Schwab.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017? Post more reviews, I guess. And mainly keep up with my reading.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: I don’t have any.
In the next couple of days, I will be posting my December wrap-up, 2017 Reading Challenges, 2016 Reflections/2017 Resolutions, and probably one review. I can post any or all… or none of them LMAO.
Here’s to a wonderful 2017!